Thursday, February 7, 2008

Double Parked, Double Booked?

"Its a bbq.. just bring your appetite. yes, I know Canuck, that you will..." My man, Beeks, says in his email. The latest one to get married in our group, Beeks wanted to introduce his fiance to his So Cal crew... It was a Saturday afternoon BBQ-at-the-Park, but I had said I'd be delayed due to other commitments.

My football team was out supporting the Girls' tournament that Saturday. We were supposed to have had our tournament the week before, but due to rain and ground conditions, it got posponed.... yes, unfortunate indeed, because in the scrimmage that ensued, I came out sans the use of my finger. If it had been the tournament, atleast I coulda claimed it was a Wound O' War.... Oh well.

Anyways, the girls team did exceptionally well, and definitely beat my expectations when they reached the finals of the tournament. it was a great performance, but alas, it had lasted until well past 5pm that day.. As soon as the game was over, I made like a banana and split to catch whatever remained of the BBQ.... (Did I mention that i was staaahvin?) Of course, it took me about 30 minutes to get out cause some yahoo had decided to double park right next to my car.... of course!!!

By the time I arrived, it was dark already and the crowd had gathered around the grill to toast their hands like they were marshmallows. "ah Canuck... about friggin time Your Highness got here..."... where the hell were you...?"

I told them.

my man Klowny wouldn't let this chance go. "You were Cheeeerleaaading???????"

"No, I was 'supporting' our girls team"

"So how does it feel to be a male cheerleader?", he continued.

"I was NOT cheerleading.. i was cheering them on so they would return the favor at our game"

"What, so they would return their pom poms to you?"

sigh...This was not an arguement I was gonna win.. Nor a battle I wanted to contest. Beeks to the rescue, introducing to me his newlywed better half..... and yes.. literally.. Half :)

"Thanks for calling me before I flew out for my wedding man", continued Beeks.

"hey man.. i'm glad I caught you just in time.. Besides, I can claim I was the last person to wish you luck for the future"... beamed I.... I'd given up on being the first or the best at anything a long time ago.. Now I just took pride in maximizing the things I could be the last to do.

"Ya, bro.. Thanks for the call...and those Marriage Tips."

My mind flashed back to that afternoon in December .. an afternoon, when I was The Canuck Dr. Phil... not just... the Canuck Engineer..

No comments: