Saturday, May 17, 2008

What's in a Title?

So I decided to replenish my stock of business cards last week.

I've been going to a few events over the past few months that have kinda sorta required the use of a business card. not as much for contact information, as much for legitimacy...

or at least that's what I think!

So I decided to go ahead and order some business cards, with my work assigned title..

something to the effect of

Name: "The Canuck Engineer"
Title: "Engineer, Canuck"

With that I submitted the order, expecting a set of 500 cards to be in my mailbox sometime later this month.

That very night I get an email from my manager.. and I quote...

"Canuck, can you please change your title? As it stands on your proposed business card, it is too boring"

Now I have been prone to some fiction and some exaggeration in the history of this blog.. the above has no word of a lie.. I quote, verbatim!

So I got around to thinking of what my title at work should be. Should title reflect self-grandeur... or should title reflect exactly what you do?

If the latter, how would "Guy who gets stuff done, including feeding the printer paper" sound?

If I wanted some more credibility, I could go for "Implementation Engineer". That sounds respekkable, dunnit?

In Ali G's words... "There is so little Respek left in the world, if you look it up in the dictionary, its not even there!"

But then I realized, no one's gonna audit my business card.. So if I wanted to put in some name to stroke my own ego, I could totally do that.

Visions of "Supreme Commander" crept in my head. I brushed them aside only to find myself drooling at the thought of Steve Job's title.. "Chief Know-it-all".

Then I wondered if I could reflect my web surfing obsession respectably... "Cybrarian" comes to mind..

Of course, if I owned my own company, I would go with.. "Master of Time & Space".. that would show them all :)

In the end (not the Linkin Park song!), My modesty took over, and I decided to go with a humble title that described me to the fullest...My business cards will arrive next week.. like so..:

Name: "Canuck Engineer"
Title: "Fucktastic"

Oh wait, I got tenure...

Name: "Canuck Engineer"
Title: "Fucktastic, Chief"

Call me :)

No comments: