Monday, August 20, 2007

Of Cadillacs and Escalades!

"Table for three please", I said..lying about the number in the party. It was two actually......but there is no heterosexual way to ask a beautiful hostess for a table for 2 guys... not when you're a guy :)

"We're a bit busy right now.. Bar good for you until a table opens up?" said the hostess.

"Yeah, sure, it works....", said I, relieved as I walked towards the bar with DB#2. DB#2, introduced as one of my co-workers early in this blog, has lately earned his name even more.

"DB", he says to me, "what's the call tonight?"

"I'ma stick to my Escalade. This place rocks those Margarita's like nobody's bizness" say I, as we chance ourselves upon a recently cleared booth in the restaurant area. I guess we're gonna get seated in the restaurant after all

Score! and the waitress walks by right at that point... "why don't you guys have a seat, and I'll come by in a minute.. Do you guys want anything to drink?"

DB#2 jumps at that "I'll have an Apple-tini...heavy on the Apple, light on the Tini"....

The waitress writes it down.. suppressing her smile

"I'll have the Escalade please", I chuckle.

"Escalade? whats that?" the perplexed server squeals.

"Escalade!.. its a large Cadillac. in fact, its the largest Cadillac" my smile growing bigger.

"Stop! Are you guys pulling my leg cuz I'm blonde?" server speaketh.

lol.. that's awesome, I think to myself.

"Nope, we've ordered it in the past. Cancel the 'tini, I'll take one of those actually", chimes in DB#2.

"Ok, I'm gonna go ask the bartender, and if its not a real drink, I'm gonna hunt you guys down", smiles our server, to DB#2, enjoying a little lighthearted moment at the end of her shift.

"Yea, sure... and If you need it, I know where he lives. The judge asked him to let the entire neighborhood know when he moved in", I quip.

This is one of my favorite lines of all time. Usually most people don't get it quite then. But they laugh it off, with a confused look. and then it dawns on them.. and their expression changes for a short second. Absolute devestation. and then of course, they see the humour in there. I love watching the expressions change..and that's what I did to our server too.

She caught on quite soon though. She chuckled that comment away,
"Do you guys do this all the time?" the server says, now realizing our whole act.

"Since 2005, tormenting servers far and wide!", we both chuckle. Our server's cool. She's earned her tip already.

We get our drinks, and clink our glasses. Its been busy at work lately, some liquor after work is a welcome break. I sip the margarita, marvelling, enviously, at the life of the worm that may have resided in that bottle of Tequila, from which my drink was made.

I smile at the fact that I'm envious of a worm! Maybe I am a worm at heart... Maybe I am ..The Canuck Engineer

No comments: