Friday, October 19, 2007

The Radar lies within...

Last week, I attended the company party. I added the period for effect. For all the things the company I work for can't do, they sure know how to throw a good party once a year... and that's the bone all of us mignons work for all year around.

It was a pretty darned good party as usual, except that it might have been a tad crowded. Lines everywhere, including the bar. But yours truly wasn't worse off for it, a $5 tip goes a long way in attaining good service.... especially when everyone is paying in drink tickets!

I met a lot of people, a lot of familiar faces from work that I see everyday, some that I meet every now and then, others that I used to know back in my internship days..and still others that I happen to meet only at these annual parties every year. Even so, I missed quite a few people who supposedly attended but couldn't find me. Not sure why they had trouble locating me, Find Bar, see Canuck Engineer.

By the end of the night, thanks to the barkeep's generosity, and that of all my non-drinking coworkers who chose to share their drink tickets with me, I was pretty darn toasted. But even so, I had had a good time. It was time now to meet at the "after party", DB#2's apt. Its a block away from the hotel the party was at, so in my infinite wisdom, I tell my date to walk. In her infinite wisdom, she agrees.... for like the first time all night!

well, what followed then was a trek.... an adventurous 2.3 mile trek, me in my suit, and the date in her dress. midway through the pumps came off, but I was convinced "its right around the co rner". Finally, the voice of sobreity spoke, and we called our buddy to come pick us up..

All this while I was wondering... where did I go wrong? How did I end up on this road? This is not where I planned to be... 2.3 miles after I started. I had a place to get to.. yet here I am.. in the middle of the boondocks. I got my Sunday suit on... but I'm on my feet....So while I think my destination is right around the corner...is that really just an abberation.. just like the last few "turns" i coulda took? Am I really lost.... Or am I just... the Canuck Engineer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This innocuous post in no way does justice to that 2.3 mile "abberation," the number of times you were convinced you knew where you were OR the resulting injuries! :)