Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Summer of '69

Its Wednesday evening, my last term in school. I got a major test tomorrow, and I'm feeling drowsy. "That Lasagna for dinner sure hit the spot", I muse to myself. I'm feeling drowsy, the bed beckons.. ...


"Tring tring...tring thin.. tring thin.. triniiingg thing...", rang my cell phone, to the tune of 50 Cent's In Da Club. Ya, 'twas the summer, and I was cool once too! Yes, I know.. I wasn't always an Engineer!

"Tring trin.. tring thh.." I woke up with a start, I picked up the phone, wondering who it could be the evening before my Economics Mid-term. I almost regretted answering the phone the moment I picked it up, in all my experience, nothing good has ever come from taking a call the night before an important exam.

"Hi!!!!"

The voice made me smile. why? Well, because it was one of the most beautiful voices I'd ever heard on my phone, and because it sounded pretty..oh, and also because it belonged to a girl... yes, a rarity in the world of engineers indeed!

"Do you even know who this is"?" asked the angel on the other end.

"I don't even care" , I said to myself, "Just keep talking, please".

"Engineer, I told you I'd be in town tonight. Are you going to the Bomber tonight? You promised me you would"

"oh yes, of course, I remember, its BebyG! Its been a long time.. and yea, I'll be there.. just a bit later in the evening!", lied I.

I had met BebyG over a year ago, at one of our social events in school. One of the prettiest women I'd ever laid my eyes on, she was clearly out of my league. I thought she was really cool though, she always pretended to be interested in what I said! I loved talking to her :)

I vaguely recall some conversation on MSN of her coming to town. But I had thought that to be one of those things that are often said but never followed up on..

She is IN MY HOOD right now!!!!

My heart rate's racing, my pulse is pulsing, my heart is thumping, my pulse is bumping!

"ENGINEER!!! Get a hold of yourself. " Spoke the inner me!

"You have a mid-term tomorrow, worth 35% of your grade!", my mind reasons.
"She is there with a bunch of friends, she may not even recognize you", some more reasoning
"You have a mid-term.........." trailed off the mind, even it realized it was all in vain.

It didn't matter what I had or didn't have tomorrow. I was going to the Bomber!

I looked up my wardrobe, found my best pair of socks (in EngineerWorld, well dressed means having matching socks!). Then I got out of my lounge pants, and flip flops, and threw on a pair of jeans and a shirt.

and No, not all engineers have creases or pleats on their jeans!

I'm going to meet BebyG!

Why was I so excited? I don't know. But every man loves getting a phone call from a hot chick. I didn't care what happened tomorrow, I had got that call today :)

So I reach the Bombshelter, the local on-campus pub that was the hotspot on Wednesday nights. I says to myself "Deep Breaths! Be Cool! Don't be a loser", not really believing in any of that.

I spot BebyG in the line . Do I hug her? or do I shake her hand? Whats the rule on meeting someone after a year? So I offer her my hand, as I give her a half hug. She looks a bit surprised.

Its awkward! Engineer, you coulda been studying for your test. This thing's going no where!

We get into the club, I put my best "cool" face forward. I get me a beer, hang out with a couple of friends, all the while keeping an eye out for BebyG. I see her dancing with a couple of her friends.

Deep Breaths, Engineer!

I muster up the courage, I walk up to BebyG on the dance floor. She smiles at me, we start dancing, at a nerdy distance of about 3 feet from each other. She's smiling.. I remember now, what I was so attracted by.. it was that smile of hers...

"lets get a drink", says the hot BebyG.

"Ok, you lead the way", I said, chuckling at myself. Its not so much chivalry that I let her walk ahead of me... it was also for the 'view' :)

We're at the bar, about to order drinks. The Bartender asks her "what would you like to drink?"

"Chocolate Martini please!"

Eager to Impress, I yell "Shaken, not stirred".

The BarTender looks at me with his eyes searing at me. The eyes say "You're an idiot". I feel like an idiot. I guess that this may not have been the first time that Bartender has heard that line.

Nice Job Engineer!!

BebyG smiles at me. I can't figure out how much of the smile is pity. I guess 100%. I'm usually right!

"So, how is Samantha?", asks BebyG, referring to my ex-girlfriend

"Oh, we broke up recently. How about you?"

"Yeah, Joe was a jerk, I'm single now"

Vegas has jackpots, Canada has lotteries. I feel like I'd won them both suddenly.

BebyG is single!!!!

She then took a napkin from the Bar, took out her lipstick from her purse, and wrote something on the napkin and handed it to me. I looked at it and smiled.

We got some more drinks. We then hit the dance floor. I met all her friends, and made the nice. Yea, she was way out of the league for an Engineer, but she was just so awesome to hang out with!

We then took a walk in the patio, for some reason.. It was pretty cold. We then got some more drinks. All throughout the night, all I could think of was how hot this girl was, how pretty she was, and yet how easy it was to talk to her, how much fun it was to talk to her.

I would love to date this woman, I thought to myself, as I sipped on my 6th beer of the night. No shit genius, so would about a billion other men, I thought to myself, as I spilt most of my 7th beer of the night!

"Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeep Beeeeeeeep Beeeeeeeep"!!!!

Ah, that frighteningly scary alarm clock! I look at it.. " 6:30 am" flashing real loud. I open my eyes. Oh Shit, its midterm day! I suddenly remember the events of the night before. Were they for real? What about BebyG?

I turn around in my bed, slowly, hoping, nay praying, for one of those moments you always dream of as a young teenager. I look hopefully to the other side of my bed. Nope.. hasn't been touched...by anyone.

I give myself a wry smile. It was too good to be true. I get out of bed. I have my midterm in less than an hour, I'd better get ready for school. I pick up my jacket from the floor, all the while thinking about my amazing dream from the night before.

I don't know why I enjoyed the dream so much. It could've been the thought of hanging out with a beautiful, intelligent girl. Maybe it was the fact that she called me up. or maybe it was just the typical nerd-dates-a-hottie dream. I smile at myself, at how easily I confused fantasy with reality.

It was a dream... a goddmaned..nice dream!

I then bend down to pick up a piece of paper that's fallen from my jacket. Its a napkin from the Bombshelter. and it has something written on it with a lipstick. WHAT!!!

It.. wasn't.... a... dreamm!!????

I nod to myself, with a big smile.

I'm glad I took that phone call the night before my Mid-term exam!


No comments: