Thursday, March 1, 2007

"Canada? Is that near Detroit?"

Going through my paperwork on one of those dreaded Sunday evenings, with the sinking feeling in your stomach... "uh oh, tomorrow's Work!".

And then I spot something.. a Cheque.. jeez is it christmas already? actually it is.. a cheque from christmas that I haven't deposited yet...its from home.. so its a Canadian Dollar cheque.. I guess its time for a visit to the bank.

Next day I visit the bank, and i hand them my Canadian Cheque, and BrilliantTeller looks at me like i'm outer space.

"You'd like to CASH this, sir?".

"yes, I'd like it deposited in my account"

"Well, we're going to have to convert it to US Dollars. this is a foreign Cheque"

"Yes, I realize that... thats why I'm here"

"Oh..well.. let me see" Brilliant Teller then tries to fumble around with his terminal.. then calls the supervisor over.

Supervisor: "So you want to cash a Canadian Cheque?"
"yes, ma'am"
"We're going to have to convert it"
"yes, ma'am"
"It won't be for the same amount... We'll have to apply the exchange rate!" She looks at me, with a triumphant expression suited for someone who had just solved the "Da Vinci Code"

I have a comment oozing sarcasm in my mouth, but i bury it there.
"yes ma'am, that'll be fine"

Supervisor fiddles around with the computer. I grow more aware of the line I'm holding up.

Supervisor: "well, we're going to have to figure this out..umm, our computer system isn't working right"

"Alright, i can take a walk and be back in about 20"

"Great!"

So I decided to walk around. Right next to the bank, in the plaza, was a food court, along with a bunch of stores. One of them said "Dentist". I said why not, and got me an appointment for two weeks. I haven't had a check-up since i moved here almost two years ago!

I walk back to the bank and they're still perplexed over this.. The lineup at the teller is now almost 10 people, all of them staring at me, their watches, while yapping on their cellphones, explaining why their lunch hasn't ended yet.

You can derail a train off the rails with a Canadian Loonie ($1 coin)... I guess you can derail Bank of America, all you need is a Canadian Check, eh :)

So I make my way to the counter:

Supervisor: "Sir, this is an unusual request. How about we hang onto your check, and deposit it into your account, once we're done with this rush.. leave us your phone number and we'll call and confirm that"

I like the offer, so I take it and leave. Really does surprise me as to how much commotion a single foreign currency cheque can cause in a bank.

Its not like I tried to cash a cheque from the Bank of Azerbaijan. Its from a Bank in Canada.. CANADA.. y'know that 51st state up there.

Supervisor: "Sir, before you leave, can we see some ID to confirm your address"

I flash her my Canadian Driver's license. (Yea, I should get on that. Supposed to have one within 10 days of moving here... Oh well, whats an extra 500 days between friends)

BrilliantTeller: "Where is that from?".
Engineer: "Its from Canada"..
BrilliantTeller: "Canada?? is that near Detroit?".
I stare back at him.. blink a couple of times...
"Yes...especially at this time of the year, it is!"
and then I walk away

"Is that near Detroit"!!!

Wow!!! My checks did get cashed later that day... The Engineer from the country "near detroit" was served well , after all !!

No comments: